Side Event: Enhancing Africa’s Trade Potential
The key role of trade and transport facilitation legal instruments
3 April 2016 (15:00-17:00)
Venue: Caucus Room 11, UN-ECA Conference Center, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Effective implementation of a conducive legal framework is one of the key means to reduce the high costs and improve the export competitiveness of African countries in particular the landlocked developing countries (LLDCs) and to enhance transit transport and trade facilitation cooperation between the LLDCs and the transit countries. There are several legal instruments that offer legal and regulatory framework such as the International Convention on the Harmonization of Frontier Controls of Goods, the Customs Convention on the International Transport of Goods under Cover of TIR Carnets, the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement and the Revised Kyoto Customs Convention. However the level of ratification and effective implementation of these legal instruments is low.
This event, organized by UN-OHRLLS, UN-ECA, UN-ECE, and IRU, aims to raise awareness of and enhance the knowledge and skills of participants from the African Member States on the existence and benefits of the important global and regional legal instruments for improved trade and transport facilitation and to encourage them to ratify and implement the legal instruments.
Participants for the side event will include High-level officials from LLDCs and other Member States, high-level officials of the United Nations, UN agencies, development partners, multi-lateral institutions, civil society, private sector, academia, and NGOs.
Statements and Presentations:
- Opening Remarks by Mr. Gyan Chandra Acharya, UN Under-Secretary-General and High Representative, UN-OHRLLS
- Remarks by Mr. David Luke, Coordinator, African Trade Policy Center (ATPC), UNECA
- H.E. Hon. Francis Mokoto Hloaele, Minister of Development Planning, Lesotho
- H. E. Ms. Fatima Haram Acyl, Commissioner for Trade and Industry, African Union Commission
- Senator Olubunmi Adetunmbi, Development Associates, Nigeria
- Presentation by Representative of UNECE
- Presentation by Mr. Habib Turki, Expansion, Project Coordinator, International Road Transport Union (IRU) Headquarter
- Presentation by Ms. Marie-Hélène Vanderpool, Manager, External Relations, IRU Permanent Delegation to the United Nations
- A Review of International Legal Instruments: Facilitation of Transport and Trade in Africa – SSATP
- Benefits of the Protocol of Amendment to the International Convention on the Simplification and Harmonization of Customs Procedures (Revised Kyoto Convention) – WCO
- Benefits of Customs Convention on Containers – WCO
- Brochure which highlights the importance and potential benefits to contracting parties of the Customs Convention on the International Transport of Goods under Cover of TIR Carnets and the International Convention on the Harmonization of Frontier Controls of Goods – UNECE
- Economic Benefits of TIR: UNESCAP Focus – IRU
- Handbook of Best Practices at Border Crossings: A Trade and Transport Facilitation Perspective – OSCE & UNECE
- Spectrum of Border Crossing Facilitation Activities – UNECE
- Trade Facilitation Agreement: Easing the Flow of Goods across Borders – WTO