Seminar on the Importance of Key Trade and Transport Conventions
10:00-13:00, 9 May 2016
Conference Room 1, United Nations Headquarters
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Addis Ababa Action Agenda acknowledge that international trade is essential for inclusive economic growth and poverty reduction. However, high cost of trade constrains the trade potential of Landlocked Developing Countries (LLDCs). The effective implementation of a conducive legal framework is a prerequisite to reducing the high costs of trade and improving the export competitiveness of LLDCs, but the ratification and implementation of these legal instruments remain low at the global level and among the LLDCs and transit countries. Effective cooperation of LLDCs and the transit developing countries and promotion of an enabling legal environment will bring mutual benefits in order to make transit transport and trade efficient and effective.
This event, organized by UN-OHRLLS, UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and International Road Transport Union (IRU), aims to raise awareness and understanding of the process, potential benefits and implications of accession to international conventions related to facilitation of transport and trade. The meeting will in particular inform participants about the key Conventions that are relevant to the LLDCs that will be featured in the 2016 Treaty Event, with a view to encourage countries to ratify and implement the legal instruments.
All Member States are invited to attend. Mostly, participants for the seminar will include Ambassadors and experts of the LLDCs, Group of Friends of LLDCs, and transit countries.
Statements and Presentations:
- Remarks by Mr. Gyan Chandra Acharya, Under-Secretary General and High Representative, UN-OHRLLS
- Remarks by H.E. Ms. Christine Kalamwina, Chargé d’Affaires a.i., Permanent Mission of Zambia to the United Nations and Chair of the Group of LLDCs
- Remarks by H.E. Mr. Jan Kickert, Permanent Representative of Austria to the United Nations, host of the Second United Nations Conference on LLDCs and Co-Chair of the Group of Friends of LLDCs
- Presentation by Ms. Ariadne Abel, Representative of UN Economic Commission for Europe (UN ECE)
 UNECE Booklet: SPECTRUM of Border Crossing Facilitation Activities  UNECE Leaflet
- Presentation by Mr. Igor Runov, International Road Transport Union (IRU) Under Secretary General and Head of the IRU Permanent Delegation to the UN
- Presentation by Ms. Gabriele Goettsche-Wanli, Director of the Division for Ocean Affairs and the Law, Office of Legal Affairs (OLA)
- Presentation by Mr. Santiago Villalpando, Chief of the Treaty Section, Office of Legal Affairs (OLA)