The Global Conference on Scaling-up Energy Access and Finance in Least Developed Countries will focus on concrete measures to accelerate energy access and enhance financing for sustainable and modern energy, as called for in SDG7.
The Global Conference aims to build national leadership and create stronger multi-stakeholder partnerships to rapidly scale-up access to sustainable energy. It will especially:
- Showcase and discuss initiatives and financing models that can accelerate energy transition across LDCs,
- Share experiences in preparing national energy investment studies and discuss best practices among LDCs and
- Enhance regional collaboration for sustainable energy in LDCs.
Discussions at the Global Conference will feed into the Fifth United Nations Conference on the Least Developed Countries, the United Nations High-Level Political Forum (HLPF), which monitors the implementation of the 2030 Agenda and its global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), as well as into the Secretary-General’s Climate Summit to be held in September 2019, by bringing in unique views on how those furthest behind have embarked on SDG7 implementation.
- Stronger partnerships between LDCs, their partners and the private sector established in order to achieve the targets on access to sustainable energy in LDCs;
- Enhanced knowledge on how country level sustainable energy investment plans can accelerate energy access in LDCs;
- Lessons learnt and best practices on financing sustainable energy in LDCs shared and discussed to further advance the creation of enabling environment for sustainable energy through cross-sectorial policy framework and end-to-end business models.
- Enhanced regional collaboration in the sustainable energy sector.
PARTICIPANTS AND PARTNERS
The Global Conference will be organised jointly by UN-OHRLLS and the Global Energy Interconnection Development Cooperation Organization (GEIDCO), with the support of the UN system, including regional commissions and development banks. In addition to the LDC representatives and their development partners, selected private sector partners from both the energy and investment sector, as well as relevant foundations and civil society will be invited to attend.
The Global Conference is funded by the United Nation’s 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development (ASD) Sub-Fund of the United Nations Peace and Development Fund (UNPDF)
Venue: Kerry Hotel, Beijing
1 Guanghua Road, Beijing 100020 China
|UN Report on “Accelerating SDG 7 Achievement, Policy Brief 23 (Achieving SDG7 in LDCs, LLDCs and SIDS)”||English|
|UN-OHRLLS Report on “Promoting Investment for Energy ACCESS in least Developed Countries”||English
Header Photo: Russell Watkins / DFID / CC BY 2.0