Civil Society/Non-governmental organizations
In partnership with the United Nations (UN) and donor agencies, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) especially Non-Governmental Organization (NGOs) have played a significant role in the social and economic development of Least Developed Countries (LDCs) in the last decade. There is a growing number of NGOs actively engaged in the economic and social development as well as the empowerment of marginalized populations in the LDCs. These organizations operate in various development areas including health, education, agriculture, and the environment.
In its work with NGOs, OHRLLS collaborates with the United Nations Non-Governmental Liaison Service (NGLS), an inter-agency program which aims at strengthening UN-civil society dialogue, cooperation and dynamic partnerships.
- Regional Consultation of Asian LDC Civil Society Organisation for Synergy and Coherence of the IPoA and SDGs December 2017
- IPoA Midtern Review Civil Society Forum 2016
- Report: Towards A World Without LDCs Global Civil Society Report and Recommendations to the Fourth United Nations Conference on the Least Developed Countries (LDC-IV), 2011
- The Civil Society Assembly for Assessing Development Challenges in African LDCs, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, 4-5 March 2010
- Pacific Civil Society Assembly on LDCs and MDGs, Port Vila, Vanuatu, 3-6 August 2010
- Asia Civil Society Assembly, Bangkok, Thailand, 22-23 November 2010
- Informal interactive hearings of the General Assembly with representatives of NGOs, civil society and the private sector, 22 June 2006
- NGO / Civil Society Forum — Recommendations to the High Level Segment of ECOSOC 2004 on the theme of “Resource Mobilization and Enabling Environment for Poverty Eradication in the Context of the Implementation of the Program of Action for the Least Developed Countries for the Decade 2001 – 2010.” – 18 March 2004
- NGO / Civil Society Forum — Survey Report of the NGO/Civil Society and Poverty Eradication in the Least Developed Countries – 18 March 2004
- ECOSOC Substantive Session of July 2004 (UN-NGO-IRENE/NGO Section of DESA)
- High Representative’s message to the Civil Society
- High Representative’s remark at the Special Meeting on the New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) and the Least Developed Countries (LDCs)
- LDC Watch annual report, 2003 (English | French)