Governing Council of the Technology Bank
In order to expedite the process the Secretary General has appointed the members of the Governing Council of the Technology Bank, which is foreseen to be the governing body of the Technology Bank once formally established by the General Assembly. In the period leading up to the formal establishment the members of the Governing Council will provide support to the Secretary General in undertaking the necessary steps towards the operationalization of the Technology Bank and in particular formulate principles and policies governing the activities and operations of the technology bank, including preparing its Charter for consideration and adoption by the General Assembly.
The members of the Governing Council are:
- Ann Aerts Novartis, Head of the Novartis Foundation, member of the Broadband Commission Foundation
- Aggrey Ambali, Head of STI Hub, NEPAD
- Abdoulaye Yero Baldé, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research of the Republic of Guinea
- Sonia Bashir Kabir, Managing Director of Microsoft Bangladesh
- Bitrina Diyamett, Executive Director of the Science, Technology and Innovation Policy Research Organization (STIPRO)
- Xiaolan Fu, Director, Technology and Management Centre for Development, Oxford University
- Zakri Abdul Hamid, Science Adviser to the Prime Minister of Malaysia
- Orkun Hasekioğlu, Executive Vice President, TÜBITAK
- Mohamed H.A. Hassan, President of the InterAcademy Partnership (IAP)
- Rosibel Ochoa, Associate Vice Chancellor Technology Partnerships, University of California Riverside
- Frank Rijsberman, Chief Executive Officer, Director-General of the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI)
- Alfred Watkins, Chairman of the Global Solutions Summits
- Gyan Chandra Acharya, Under Secretary-General and High Representative for the Least Developed Countries, Landlocked Developing Countries and Small Island Developing States (UN-OHRLLS)
The Secretary General asked Prof. Hassan to serve as the Chair of the Governing Council and Under-Secretary General Acharya to be his representative in the Council and serve as vice-chair.
In addition, the Secretary General has set up an interim trust fund for the preparatory phase of the Technology Bank in the lead up to its establishment by the General Assembly. This Trust Fund is open to contributions from Member States and other stakeholders, including the private sector and foundations.
Press release on the appointment of the Governing Council members.