Side event on the margins of the 2014 ECOSOC DCF – 10 July 2014
A renewed global partnership for development: concrete implications for development cooperation in support of Least Developed Countries
Thursday, 10 July 2014
1:15 to 2:45 p.m.
Room B (Conference Building)
Objective: Against the backdrop of an unfinished MDG agenda and that of a Post‐2015 development framework that is expected to be both unified and universal, the event will assess the evolving nature of development cooperation and how this should adapt and emerge to best help meet the special needs of the Least Developed Countries. The event will provide a platform for a candid dialogue on the changed international landscape, the need for increased mobilization of different types of resources and strengthened policy coherence at all levels. Speakers will highlight best practices, identify critical challenges and opportunities and propose practical action to strengthen the effectiveness of development cooperation and the delivery of development results in LDCs. The event will make an immediate contribution to the ongoing deliberations on the Post 2015 Development Agenda. Session Format: An interactive panel discussion will allow speakers from Least Developed Countries, development partners and civil society to provide their perspectives on the following questions:
- What should be the defining features of development cooperation for LDCs in a Post‐2015 setting
- How can the catalytic role of aid be strengthened to ensure its maximum development impact in LDCs
- What concrete actions can be taken to enhance policy coherence at all levels.
- Mr. Pio Wennubst, Ambassador, Assistant‐Director General, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
- Mr. Gyan Chandra Acharya, Under‐Secretary‐General and High Representative, UN‐OHRLLS
- H.E. Mr. Abul Maal A. Muhith, Minister of Finance, Bangladesh
- H.E. Mr. Claver Gatete, Minister of Finance and Economic Planning of Rwanda
- H. E. Mr. Felix Mutati, Member of Parliament, Zambia
- Ms. Joanna Rea, Head of Policy and Public Affairs, Bond for International Development
Lead Discussant: H.E. Mr. Jean Francis Zinsou, Permanent Representative of Benin, LDC Group Chair
Organizers: The Government of Switzerland and the UN Office of the High Representative for LDCs, LLDCs and SIDS.
Light refreshments will be served.
Please confirm your participation: RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, contact UN‐OHRLLS: Margherita Musollino‐Berg – email@example.com – 212.963.4844