High-Level Launch of the South-South Technology Transfer Facility for LLDCs – 31 Oct 2013
Date: October 31, 2013
Time: 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM
Venue: Conference Room 3, United Nations Office at Nairobi, Kenya
Global South-South Development Expo
UNOSSC and UN-OHRLLS will launch a South-South and Triangular technology transfer and resource mobilization facility dedicated to Landlocked Developing Countries (LLDCs).
The proposed South-South Facility for LLDCs will be a platform for the South-South transfer of viable, sector-specific technologies aimed at developing and strengthening capacities and production in LLDCs.
The Facility will enable sharing of knowledge and best practices between and among LLDCs and their development partners and facilitate the acquisition of appropriate technologies from the Global South in the areas such as sustainable agriculture, dairy and agro-food processing, water management, global health, climate change adaptation and renewable energy.
The Facility is developed as a concrete deliverable to the Comprehensive Ten-Year Review Conference of the Almaty Programme of Action to be held in 2014. UNOSSC and UN-OHRLLS will provide oversight and coordination for the Joint Facility while the South-South Global Assets Technology Exchange (SS-GATE) will be designated as the implementing entity.
A high-level panel will highlight the importance of the Facility and of South-South cooperation for LLDCs as an enabler for technology transfer, among other things, and express their commitment and support to the Facility.
Statements and presentations
- USG Statement at High Level Forum of Director Generals for Development Cooperation at the Sixth South-South Expo
- USG Statement at High Level Launch of Technology Transfer Facility for LLDCs at the Sixth South-South Expo
- USG Statement at the Closing Ceremony of the Sixth Global South-South Development Expo 2013
- Welcome Remarks by Honory Guest Zsolt Hetesy – Vice President of the UN High-Level Committee on South-South Cooperation
- Statement – Zambia – H.E. DR. Mwaba Kasesep. Bota (Mrs) Ambassador and Permanent Representative of the Republic of Zambia to the United Nations
- Statement – Uganda – Ministry of Information and Communication Technology
- Statement – Nepal Mr. Gopi Nath Mainali – Joint Secretary National Planning Commission
- Moderator’s Remarks – Mr.Yiping Zhou – UN Office for South-South Cooperation