- This event has passed.
SIDS Global Business Network Forum
21 May 2018 - 22 May 2018
UN-OHRLLS and the Government of Mauritius will convene the SIDS Global Business Network Forum from 21 – 22 May 2018 at the Maritim Resort and Spa, Balaclava, Mauritius. The forum will focus on the overarching theme of “Strengthening private sector partnerships for sustainable tourism development.”
Tourism accounts for a significant proportion of the GDP of many small island developing States (SIDS) with tourism accounting for more than 50 per cent of exports in the case of St. Lucia, the Maldives and Samoa. Tourism is often one of the few activities for which their location, coupled with exceptional natural and cultural resources, is a strong competitive advantage for SIDS. Tourism has been key in the recent graduation of Samoa, Cabo Verde and the Maldives from Least Developed Country (LDC) status.
For SIDS, there is a strong connection between sustained tourism and the achievement of SDG 8 “to promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all”. The 2018 Forum will also delve into Goal 8 target 8.9; “by 2030 to devise and implement policies to promote sustainable tourism that creates jobs and promotes local culture and products” and the role of the private sector in achieving this target.
Furthermore, tourism as the backbone of many island economies has a critical role to play in the achievement of other SDGs. The 2018 Forum will review the linkages between sustained tourism in SIDS with other cross-cutting sectors such as sustainable energy, connectivity, sustainable oceans, sustainable agriculture, disaster risk reduction and finance which are the key thematic areas of the SIDS-Global Business Network (SIDS-GBN).
The 2018 Forum will be aligned to provide substantive inputs to other global events in 2018 including the AIMS regional preparatory meeting for the SAMOA Pathway mid-term review as well as the inter-regional meeting for the above mentioned review.
• A platform for existing and new members of the SIDS Global Business Network to meet and exchange best practices and for building partnerships for sustainable tourism development in SIDS,
• Provide substantive inputs to the AIMS regional preparatory meeting for the SAMOA Pathway mid-term review as well as the inter-regional meeting,
• Facilitate an open dialogue and sharing of experiences among governments, private sector, civil society and other stakeholders on addressing challenges and promoting opportunities for sustainability of the tourism industry in SIDS,
• Dedicated sessions on connectivity, renewable energy, sustainable oceans, climate change and resilience building and other cross-cutting thematic areas in the context of promoting sustainable tourism development in SIDS,
• Advocate for continued momentum on promoting the theme of the third International Conference on SIDS which is “the sustained development of SIDS through genuine and durable partnerships” and recognise the role of partnerships as critical for the implementation of the sustained development in SIDS.