INTER AGENCY CONSULTATIVE GROUP MEETING
12 fEBRUARY 2012, CR 6 (nlb) , unhq
The General Assembly in its resolution 66/214 of 22 December 2011 decided to hold a comprehensive ten-year review conference of the Almaty Programme of Action in 2014, in accordance with paragraph 49 of the Almaty Programme of Action and paragraph 32 of the Declaration on the midterm review preceded, where necessary, by regional and global as well as thematic preparations in a most effective, well-structured and broad participatory manner. Intergovernmental mechanisms at the global and regional levels, including those of the United Nations Regional Commissions, as well as relevant substantive material and statistical data, should be effectively utilized in the review process.
In the same resolution the General Assembly designated the Office of the High Representative (UN-OHRLLS) as the United Nations System-wide focal point for the preparatory review process and noted that United Nations system organizations, including UNCTAD, UNDP, Regional Commissions and relevant international and regional development and financial organizations, within their respective mandate, should provide necessary support and actively contribute to the preparatory review process and the comprehensive ten-year review conference itself.
The Inter-Agency Consultative Group Meeting is the first milestone in preparing for the Comprehensive Ten-Year Review Conference of the APoA. The IACG Meeting focused on achieving the following objectives:
- Launch the preparatory process for the Review Conference;
- Consult on roadmap of preparatory activities for the period 2012-2014;
- Discuss preparations for the Regional Review Meetings to be held in Asia/Europe, Africa and Latin America;
- Develop a preliminary list of thematic pre-conference events along with identification of possible lead/sponsor agencies; and
- Define any other areas of collaboration, both financial and substantive, that can be promoted among the IACG partners
- A roadmap of preparatory activities for the Comprehensive Ten-Year Review Conference;
- A matrix indicating the activities that the agencies will pursue towards the preparatory process, including thematic pre-conference events and substantive contributions;
- A follow-up mechanism to share and update all IACG partners on the progress being made in undertaking the preparatory work; and
- A meeting report that reflects the issues discussed during the meeting.
Participants included experts from UN System, international and regional development and financial organizations that have been working on the implementation of the priorities of the APoA. Video-conferencing was available.